Award-Winning Corona WebAR Campaign for Custom Sneakers Giveaway
Corona has done it again and has produced a 2020 limited-edition sneaker release. The Corona team worked with sneaker designer Jake Danklefs, to create 12 custom pairs of shoes that incorporate branding elements from both Corona and the Texas Longhorns. These were made to celebrate the partnership between the two organizations!
Groove Jones was brought on board to create a web-based AR portal experience that allowed sneakerheads and college fans the chance to win a pair of custom sneakers. Upon entering the site, fans will be transported to the Corona beach where they must find the shoebox containing the sneakers. Find the box and you’ll be prompted to enter.
Fans entered to win by playing an augmented-reality game found at a select website. The AR experience transported you to a Corona beach with palm trees, ocean sounds, and a bucket of ice-cold Corona’s between two Adirondack chairs. The iconic Corona beach scene.
The objective was to find the octagonal Corona box hiding the custom shoes. Once they found them, the consumers tapped them to open the box and get a sneak peek of the shoes.
Once activated players 21 and up were able to enter for a chance to win a pair of shoes.
The sweepstakes and Augmented Reality experience were promoted at Texas Longhorns home football games and season-long in sports bars in the Austin area. Additional shoes were also shared with national Shoe Influencers, who posted unpacking videos and related images of the kicks. Reviews and excitement were very positive, delivering a great Year 2 experience!
PR and Unboxing Videos
PR campaign targeted earned and paid media and social coverage via key sports business and shoe culture innovators on a national basis. The Corona Longhorns Shoes and Shoebox were sent out to sites like Business Insider, influencers like Darren Rovell (The Outdoor Network), Tony Mui (Complex Media), and Seth Fowler (@RealSethFowler). Additionally, outlets like @KicksOnFire, @TheCultureCreators, @FlipBoard, @BallerStatus, @TheScore, and @Respect covered the shoe and shoebox experience.
A great video unboxing can be found on Complex.com – https://www.complex.com/life/2020/02/travis-scott-sb-dunks-super-hyped-lifeatcomplex that features Travis Scott.
Learn more about WebAR – https://www.groovejones.com/web_ar/
Special thanks to the team that helped create the campaign – Zeno Group PR, Shoe developed by Dank & Co., Shoebox developed by MDL Product Solutions, POS developed by Condon Randis, and Photography by Cinderblock and PK Zuniga Photography.
This production has won numerous awards including:
- 2021 Event Marketer – SILVER EX Award – Category: Best Use of Technology and Social
- 2021 Event Marketer – SILVER EX Award – Category: Best Use of Virtual or Augmented Reality
- 2021 Summit Creative Awards – SILVER – Category: Engagement/Experiential
- 2021 Communicator Awards of Excellence – GOLD – Category: Promotional
- 2021 NYX Marcom Awards – GRAND – Category: Campaign – Promotional for Integrated Campaign
- 2021 NYX Marcom Awards – GOLD – Category: Integrated Marketing / Other
- 2021 NYX Marcom Award – GOLD – Category: Integrated Mobile Experience
- 2021 Hermes Creative Award – PLATINUM – Category: Electronic Media / Virtual, Augmented or Mixed Reality
- 2021 Hermes Creative Awards – PLATINUM – Category: Electronic Media / Consumer Engagement Campaign (Multiple Platforms)
- 2021 Muse Creative Awards – GOLD – Category: Experiential & Immersive – Retail
- 2021 Muse Creative Awards – SILVER – Category: Experiential & Immersive – Sponsorship Experience
- 2021 Horizon Interactive Awards – BEST IN CATEGORY – Category: Advertising – Integrated CampaigN
- 2021 Horizon Interactive Awards – BEST IN CATEGORY – Category: Advertising – Integrated Campaign
- 2021 Addy Awards – AAF Dallas – ONLINE AND INTERACTIVE – SILVER – Category: Branded Content & Entertainment for Online/Interactive